The Archbald Department of Public Works has over 35 miles of roadway to clean, which is a major job every time it snows, no matter how much snow we receive. Each year they inspect the trucks, prepare the plows, and store the salt that is necessary to do this job. The following is the operating procedure DPW uses to clean our streets:
- The Police, while on patrol, will call the DPW when they feel the streets are slippery.
- The Borough is divided into three sections and a crew is assigned to each.
- School routes and hills are the first areas to be plowed and salted.
- When a heavy snow fall is predicted DPW will plow the center of the street to keep them open. Then near the end of the storm they will come back and plow open the entire street.
- When plowing to open the streets, snow will be pushed to the sides, which will cause snow to pile in front of driveways. There is no way to avoid this. They will not come back to clear your driveway.
How can residents help?
- Do not throw snow in the roadway
- Use off street parking for your cars
- Clean your sidewalks as soon as possible
State & County Roads
Some roads within the Borough are maintained by PennDot, 570-586-2211, and Lackawana County Roads & Bridges, 570-496-7733.
- Route 6 Casey Highway(including ramps)
- Salem Road to Cemetery Street
- Cemetery Street to Wayne Street
- Wayne Street from Cemetery to Main Street
- Main Street in Archbald from Wayne Steet to Kennedy Drive
- Kenndy Drive to Main Street in Eynon
Main Street, Eynon to Gino Merli Drive
- Eynon/Jermyn Road
- Betty Street
- Wildcat Road(including Rt. 247-Main Street Sturges)
- Business Route 6
- Main Street in Archbald from Wayne Street to Jermyn line
- Main Street in Archbald from Kennedy Drive to Blakely line